Monday, June 2, 2008

Country Girl... City Girl!!


Going from two weeks on the family farm in Honeyville Utah, to New York has been such a drastic change. Nice relaxing horse rides with thousands of acres of farmland surrounding- to busy, noisy city streets. Please note: look at Maisie's little hands covering her ears as she fell asleep. She's still getting used to it too :)
On Saturday we walked all of Central Park and saw Carnegie Hall, then walked home. A 7 hr walk. Geesh. Central Park is so wooded and beautiful. I was surprised to see a group of about 40 skate boarders, boarding together. The open lawns in the park looked like crowded california beaches, and every play ground was packed with children of all ages. Central park is full of so many different running trails and ponds and so much more. My favorite part of the city so far.
Monday was hard letting Ryan go to work- this break has just been too nice with him home. Maisie kept asking "where's daddy?" over and over. We stayed busy with another walk to the park, where we tried to find an albino peacock we had seen that weekend. No luck. So we finished our adventure at the public library. I packed light coming out here so I checked 25 books out for Maisie- she has loved having them already. We made it to story time and let me just say that Provo kicks New York City's trash in the story time department. No competition.
Everyday I find I need something at the market. I didn't realize how hard it would be to start a kitchen and a fridge from scratch. No flour, sugar, baking soda, oil, condiments, etc. Is everyone else having a tricky time getting kitchens organized?
Today's Pros and cons:
Con - always seeming to find myself walking behind someone smoking (and we walk a lot)
Pro - New Yorkers are SO helpful. They make using the subway a piece of cake. AND, I don't have to pay for gas in a car this summer!

1 comment:

Bingham Family said...

with all that walking you guys are going to come home 20 pounds lighter!!! We have missed you guys here on the farm I could never get Dusty to the big city! He would cover his ears too.